About Me

My photo
Brooklyn girl cooking in her Brooklyn world...
Love my blog? Wanna satisfy that sweet tooth? Come find me at The Cake Monologues. Interested in having us at your next event? Contact me at: marketing@thecakemonologues.com.

Please direct general inquiries to admin@thecakemonologues.com & cake sales/donations to sales@thecakemonologues.com.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sesame Ginger Meatballs

Two bottles of ritalin mixed in a bowl of Cocoa Puffs doesn't sound too appetizing to me but hey, I suppose if you eat McDonalds 7 days a week, it can't be that bad...  Damn, I hate their marketing techniques because as much as I am a culinary prude, I seriously think that's clever to get people to buy that much deadly fries, burgers and shakes.  Just a thought.

Anyway, my dear buddy Kaos Blac talked rekindled the thoughts of doing this Blogspot that I never fed with any information so I figured I'd post it on here.   Ironically, he sent me a text message asking about a recipe around the same time I was writing my Buttermilk Pound Cake recipe blog and asked for a meatball recipe...and shaddup you perverts....I can imagine the jokes coming out of the word "meatball."  

A few months ago, I made this Sesame Ginger Meatball recipe that people told me was awesome.  I hope it was and hope that you like it too.  If you modify it, send over the love.  I would love to see what you added or removed from my version.  ENJOY!

Sesame Ginger Meatballs

Picture coming soon!  I promise!

I used:

3 lbs. Ground Turkey
Salt and pepper, TT
1/3 c.  bread crumbs (preferably Panko or plain)
1 egg to bind (if you don't want to use egg, no problem...the breadcrumbs and moisture of the recipe will make it work)
1/4 c.  minced ginger
5 minced cloves garlic
3 scallions, uniform size chopped
3 T sesame oil
2 handfuls sesame seeds (estimate of 1/2 cup)
2 T sugar
1/2 c. soy sauce
3/4 c. fresh cilantro, chiffonade (basically a ribbon cut or if all else fails, buy dried cilantro and use 1/2 c.)
1/4 c. lime juice
enough vegetable oil or olive oil to coat pan

Season ground turkey (or beef) with salt and pepper to taste (TT).  I used Kosher salt but table salt or sea salt will be fine.  Remember kosher and sea salt has a heavier concentration  since the clumps are bigger and takes a while to settle in versus table salt.  Incorporate a whipped egg, 1/2 of the soy sauce mixture (only 1/4 c.), minced ginger, minced garlic, bread crumbs, only 2 tbsp. of sesame oil, only 1/8 of the lime juice, most of the cilantro and most of the sesame seeds.  Once incorporated, roll into small to medium meatballs.  Larger sizes mean longer cooking times; adjust accordingly.  Your mixture should be wet but firm enough to hold together and not break apart.  If it is too wet, add in more bread crumbs until firm enough to hold.  

Heat a rondeau or large pan and once even heat is distributed, add in enough oil to coat pan to prevent sticking, estimate of 2 - 3 Tbsp.  Once hot, add in turkey meatballs and cook on all sides.  An alternate way of cooking these meatballs are by placing them in a preheated oven at 375 for approximately 35 - 40 minutes.  Internal temperature should hit 165 degrees for turkey and minimum 160 degrees for beef.  With remaining ingredients, (water, sesame seeds, sesame oil, lime juice, cilantro, sugar, sesame seeds, soy sauce plus salt if needed), whisk together and this is your dipping sauce.  

When I made this dish, I served it with Jasmine Rice and didn't fluff up the rice like I typically do.  It's best with a vegetable pilaf, plain rice (you can use the marinade/dipping sauce to pour over it) or a vegetable risotto like a butternut squash in white wine risotto with this.  From start to finish, it took 35 minutes.  In hindsight, I just realized that I probably should do a blog on basic knife skills and terminology in the kitchen.  Perhaps it will be named:  'Betty Crocker Don't Know Sh!t' or something cynical like that.  FYI, I love you Betty...<3

Ah, la dolce vita!

No comments:

Post a Comment